The 2 minute cake
I was going through an old issue of one of our favourite food magazines, Lucky Peach, and came upon a recipe for a 2 minute chocolate cake in a mug. We’ve all dreamed of it, arriving home late from work and craving something sweet, or watching TV to the wee hours and needing a little nibble. The idea with this cake in a mug is just that, you mix all the ingredients into a mug, cook it in the microwave for 2 minutes and enjoy. Of course I had to try it, you know, research for the blog.
Ready in less than two minutes
I like the eggless version from Spill the Spices, let’s face it, the less ingredients you need, the better, especially when we’re talking about spontaneous cake making. But sometimes you want something less sweet and not chocolatey. What I was really craving was a cornmeal cake so I used the chocolate cake recipe as a guide and came up with this, a 1 minute, 50 second Cornmeal Lemon Cake in a Mug. If it’s a triple layer lemon chiffon or wedding cake you’re looking for, leave it to the experts. But if you want something quick, a real craving satisfier, try this versatile treat.
Less Than 2 Minute Cornmeal Lemon Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of half lemon
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp fine cornmeal
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- Mix all wet ingredients well in a mug or small bowl.
- Add all dry ingredients and mix well.
- If you mixed everything in a small bowl, transfer to a mug.
- Place in microwave on HI heat for 1 minute 50 seconds.
- Slide out of mug onto a plate.
- Slice into 4 circles, top with berries and whipped cream or anything else that you enjoy.
- * If you crave chocolate, add a tablespoon or two of chocolate chips to the raw batter and mix well.
What’s your favourite type of cake?